Apple-Raisin Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 7 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour butter into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine bread cubes and apples; sprinkle over butter. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour over bread; let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Serve with warm bread pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 294 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 20, 2014
I made this on Christmas eve so Christmas day I just have to reheat for a "Santa Perfect" breakfast! I use gala apples and reduce the amount include. I also increase the amount of vanilla in the sauce!
Oct 5, 2014
This is wonderful! Consider it a keeper!
Apr 30, 2012
I've made this 5 times. I love it and it always goes over well at my brunches. i actually love it without the sauce, but do make the sauce for those who like it sweeter.
Jan 13, 2012
Simply wonderful; a perfect bread pudding with a wonderful texture and balance of flavors. The vanilla sauce was simple to prepare and was the perfect accompaniment to the main attraction. YUMMY!
Oct 9, 2011
Loved it just the way it was!
Sep 29, 2011
I would just make a few changes to recipe. I would add a tsp of cinnamon or 1/2 tsp of allspice to bread pudding egg mixture. The vanilla sauce could be improved by adding more butter and changing the sugar to brown sugar.
Aug 9, 2011
This is really good and easy. My 1 and 2 year old love it too. I prefer to cook the apples (sprinkled with cinnamon) for about 3 minutes in the microwave before putting it in the dish, otherwise they're still crunchy at the end of the baking time. I also use pancake syrup instead of the vanilla sauce (which I didn't care for). Delicious breakfast dish!
Jan 31, 2011
I had a few day-old mini cinnamon bagels and took a thin slice off the top and bottom crusts before cutting into cubes. There was only 4oz of bread, so I cut the recipe into 1/4 (used 2 eggs) and threw in a handful of raisins, then baked it ~45 minutes in a loaf pan. The pudding is tasty, but the vanilla sauce is wonderful!
Dec 14, 2010
I've made bread pudding before, but this is the best I have ever made. I did not have raisin bread, so I used some left-over Italian bread and added raisins. It turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.
Oct 25, 2010
Yummy, yummy, yummy!! Will definitely make again....Leftovers make a wonderful breakfast!