Fruit and Nut Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 16 slices day-old bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling, slices cut in half
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine bread and sugar. Set aside. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until foamy. Pour over bread and sugar; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except cream. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until firm. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 488 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 1, 2014
This has been our "go-to" company dessert recipe for several years now. Have yet to find someone who doesn't like it! I make a hard sauce to top it rather than whipped cream.
Mar 12, 2013
This is a family favorite. My family likes it really plain (without apple pie filling, raisins and pecans). We often have it hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Aug 7, 2010
I have made this lots of times and get raves every time. It is so easy and is great for a crowd, pot luck. thanks for sharing this recipe with everyone.
May 28, 2009
I have a problem with calories per serving when the recipe says it serves 12-15 people.This one has 488 cals. per serving. So it that based on 12 or 15 servings?Makes a big difference if you're counting cals.
May 28, 2009
2 cups of sugar seems like too much for this recipe. When I make it I'll substitute baking Splenda (in the bag)for 1/2 the sugar and cut down on the other sugar.The pie filling has sugar too.
Dec 19, 2008
My family loves this. I let it set overnight as it is better the next day. I also put in 1 C of unwhipped whipping cream and 2C of milk instead of 3C of milk.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.