Fruit and Nut Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 16 slices day-old bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling, slices cut in half
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine bread and sugar. Set aside. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until foamy. Pour over bread and sugar; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except cream. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until firm. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 488 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2014
This has been our "go-to" company dessert recipe for several years now. Have yet to find someone who doesn't like it! I make a hard sauce to top it rather than whipped cream.
Mar 12, 2013
This is a family favorite. My family likes it really plain (without apple pie filling, raisins and pecans). We often have it hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Aug 7, 2010
I have made this lots of times and get raves every time. It is so easy and is great for a crowd, pot luck. thanks for sharing this recipe with everyone.
May 28, 2009
I have a problem with calories per serving when the recipe says it serves 12-15 people.This one has 488 cals. per serving. So it that based on 12 or 15 servings?Makes a big difference if you're counting cals.
May 28, 2009
2 cups of sugar seems like too much for this recipe. When I make it I'll substitute baking Splenda (in the bag)for 1/2 the sugar and cut down on the other sugar.The pie filling has sugar too.
Dec 19, 2008
My family loves this. I let it set overnight as it is better the next day. I also put in 1 C of unwhipped whipping cream and 2C of milk instead of 3C of milk.