Almond Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 croissants
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup almond paste, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- STRAWBERRY CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- Cut croissants into 1/2-in. pieces; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar and extracts. Pour over croissants; let stand for 10 minutes. Dot with almond paste; sprinkle with almonds (dish will be full).
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir sugar with a wooden spoon until sugar has melted and turned a deep amber color, about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup cream (mixture will bubble). Stir in remaining cream; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in strawberries. Serve with bread pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 531 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2017
Yum. This is my new FAVORITE
Feb 20, 2015
Very good ! Also good served with whipped cream or cherry jelly.
Apr 17, 2011
I've made this many times and it's always a hit! I never serve it with a topping-nobody misses it!
Dec 18, 2010
Found this recipe in one of the T of H mags about 10 years ago, and everyone loved it. Lost the mag/recipe and so happy that it's on this website. Most people prefer whipped cream over the sauce or just by itself. Easy and delicious!
May 31, 2010
The bread pudding was wonderful by itself.We found the sause too sweet and overpowering.As a substitute, we took a tub of whipped topping and placed several drops of almond flavoring in it to taste .We mixed this together and had it on the side if people wanted something on top.DELICIOUS!!!
Oct 29, 2009
We used this recipe for our annual "Christmas in October" extended family get-together. It was so good we dubbed it "better-than-sex-cake 2." The caramel strawberry sauce is um-um-good and very easy to make. We loved it.