Barley and Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add water, bouillon, salt and pepper; mix well. bring to a boil. Add barley and parsley. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 80-90 minutes or until the barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 166 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 7, 2011
Delicious! I used 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms and sauteed two cloves of minced garlic. It was fine with a tablespoon of dried parsley. Lastly; I used quick cook barley and only cooked for 45 minutes.
Mar 6, 2010
Excellent. I added some finely chopped carrots.