- 1 boneless chuck roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup sour cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides over medium-high heat. Remove roast and set aside. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings. Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in drippings until tender.
- Return roast to the pan. Add the broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Add barley. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and barley are tender. Add peas; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Set the roast and barley aside; keep warm. Skim fat from pan juices. If desired, add sour cream to the pan juices; stir until heated through over low heat (do not boil). Slice roast; serve with barley and gravy.
1 each: 380 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 35g protein.