Four-Cheese Baked Penne
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook penne according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, rosemary, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain penne; add to sauce. Stir in cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and all of the ricotta. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 523 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 15, 2012
Oh--how I wish I had read the reviews before I made this. I did NOT care for the rosemary in this dish. Otherwise, it was okay. Won't bother with it again.
Dec 12, 2011
I am shocked this recipe is getting good reviews. Once its cooked its very dry and really has no flavor other than the rosemary which def does not fit into the flavor. I want to pour a jar of spag sauce on it to make it worth eating. Throwing out leftovers...that bad.
Oct 13, 2011
This was very tasty and cheesy. it was no saucy and a bit dry, I will add some of my low cal. pasta sauce next time, but the flavor is very good. I may leave the rosemary out as wel next timel, as it is an italian dish.
Sep 12, 2011
<p>Don't put the rosemary. I love rosemary, but I'm an old fashioned Italian and the rosemary didn't go with this dish. But it was excellent. I used baby shells and because I didn't have cottage cheese, plus my family doesn't like cottage cheese I used all ricotta cheese. It seemed a little dry, but I just added more sauce to it. It is a very good meal. I also added a bag of thawed frozen chopped broccoli, which gave it a little moisture and really added a nice taste to the dish.</p>
Aug 26, 2011
I thought this was excellent but didnt' care for it as leftovers though.
Aug 21, 2011
This is soooooooo good! I liked how it had a little zip to it due to the red pepper flakes. I did make one change: instead of the 1 cup of ricotta, I used 4 oz. of cottage cheese and 4 oz. of plain yogurt. It turned out really good! Great comfort food; meatless, too.