Penne and Smoked Sausage Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar french-fried onions, divided
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes; drain. In a large bowl, combine milk and soup. Stir in 1/2 cup onions, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and sausage. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° until bubbly, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheeses. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 619 calories, 42g fat (18g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1522mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
May 14, 2020
Can you use a different soup? My family does not care for celery.
Jul 28, 2019
Pretty good- basically a pasta cheese sauce sausage meal.
Jun 9, 2018
I made this just like the recipe other than I only had the regular french-fried onions and I probably used a little more cheese than the recipe, but can you have too much cheese? My wife and I both thought it was very good. I let it cook a little longer after uncovering to let it get just slightly browned on top. Made a salad to go with it but about any veggie would work. Asparagus would be a good pairing. We both voted it a keeper and good choice make for Sunday dinner when our sons and granddaughter come for dinner!
Oct 7, 2016
I love this recipe. I do use andouille sausage, it's a favorite of both me and my husband, but other than that, I follow the recipe exactly. Sometimes my local Kroger is out of the cheddar fried onions, so I have used the original as well, and it is delicious. It's the perfect weeknight meal, and heats up great for leftovers.
Aug 25, 2015
Not too bad. Would make it again. Just added peas and carrots to mix, plus Italian seasoning and garlic powder for extra flavor. We all had seconds, and there's still some left over!
Mar 10, 2014
We loved it! Just make sure you read the directions all the way through, unlike myself
Feb 24, 2014
We enjoyed here at the house easy to make and fast to make forthose days you have a lot to do.
Jan 11, 2014
I gave this recipe a spicy kick! I picked this recipe because it is baked in the oven. After readinng reviews and knowing my familys love of spice, I used the seasoning called for in another ToH recipe , Spicy Sauage and Penne. I added 1/2tsp each of garlic, ground mustard and red pepper flakes. WOW! it was a hit. Family did agree that french fried onions not needed. Taste, texture and heartiness of this recipe makes this a keeper in our house.
Nov 21, 2013
I am not a fan. If you like macaroni and cheese with hot dogs, you will like this. Its a bit of a step up, but I am being kind about that. No thanks on this one.
Sep 13, 2012
My family loves this recipe! It's very versatile - we've made it with different "cream" soups and meat. It's a favorite go-to meal when nothing else sounds good.