Penne and Smoked Sausage
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar french-fried onions, divided
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat 5 minutes; drain. In a large bowl, combine milk and soup. Stir in 1/2 cup onions, 1/2 cup cheese, peas and sausage. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake until bubbly, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes longer.
Freeze option: Sprinkle remaining onions and cheese over unbaked casserole. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 553 calories, 35g fat (14g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1425mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Oct 27, 2019
I made this the first time today and we really liked it, I think next time I will add a few spices as a little kick to it. Other than that, this is a keeper.
Feb 24, 2019
Great and easy. My husband asks for it every couple weeks.
Oct 19, 2018
Very good and quick. I felt that it needed a bit more in the mix for flavor. So, I sauted some peppers, onion and minced garlic and mixed them into the pasta and sausage mixture. I also added some Italian Seasoning and salt. It turned out really good.
Jun 16, 2018
I made this last night and we both liked it a lot. I somehow missed that the french fried onions were supposed to be cheddar flavored so I used regular. My husband and I both enjoyed this dish very much, but thought something was missing - just didn't know what. The cheddar flavor may have made the difference, but we will definitely have this again! Thank you for a great yet easy recipe!
Jan 28, 2018
It looks like I am in the minority. I did not care for this at all. I’m not sure why, I like all of the ingredients just not the combination. By the way Meijer stocks the Cheddar French-Fried Onions for those people having a hard time find them.
Nov 16, 2017
I sauteed onions, red bell pepper and celery and mixed it in. I didn't use peas or the fried onions in the recipe. I also used a cheddar jack cheese instead of mozzarella. My family loved it!
Nov 13, 2017
Made this for my family last night and the kids went back for seconds. Good recipe, didn’t change a thing.
Jul 3, 2017
My child loved it!!!
Jun 18, 2017
It was just fine but not great. I needs more flavor. A few spices would help. Perhaps sage, thyme, rosemary, Cajun spice, garlic, salt/pepper something. Otherwise its just kind of bland.
Apr 20, 2017
It was ok! I don't think I would make it again. Not my favorite recipe. I will try others. You should make it and try it.