Smoked Sausage with Penne and Veggies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until crisp-tender.
- Add the sausage, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, water, salt, basil, garlic and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 570 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 2052mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Feb 25, 2018
Yum. So glad I found this delicious recipe!! I'm making it again for the second time, so yummy!!
Mar 2, 2017
We love this recipe and will use it many times I am sure ! Delicious !
Oct 2, 2016
Feb 17, 2014
Used pre cooked pasta and left out water. Still had plenty of juice.
Jul 26, 2012
Made this last night - we loved it! Great recipe!
Aug 6, 2010
I make this alot,some times i add what veggies are on hand. mushrooms lots of onion more like a cup.
Jun 24, 2010
This recipe taste very good. I used the wheat penne and canned zucchini with tomato sauce instead since I have no fresh zucchini on hand. It still taste great. Thanks, Taste Of Home.
Jan 31, 2010
I used the smoked turkey sausage to make it healthier. It was very good.
Nov 7, 2009
I've made this several times, using smoked turkey sausage and whole grain pasta. Fast, easy and delicious!
Nov 5, 2009
This was a huge hit at our house. My hubby said he would happily eat it three times a week. I used reduced sodium sausage and whole grain penne for nutrition's sake. Seriously yummy meal.