Smoked Sausage-Stuffed Peppers
This recipe evolved over time. It draws heavily on a stuffed pepper recipe passed on to me by my mother years ago.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup canned stewed tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet red or green peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored cracker crumbs
- 2 bacon strips, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic in oil until meat is browned. Add the broth, kidney beans, rice and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Add tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Place pepper halves in a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Place 1-1/2 teaspoons cracker crumbs in each pepper half. Fill with sausage mixture.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until lightly browned, Top each pepper with half of cheese and 1 bacon half. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bacon is crisp.