Sausage and Blue Cheese Stuffed Peppers
This family favorite combines some of our most-enjoyed ingredients: sausage, blue cheese and sweet peppers. The ease of preparation and slow-cooker convenience make this a go-to meal for busy weeknights. —Peggy Mehalick, Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce or pasta sauce, divided
- 1 pound uncooked bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
- Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. Pour sauce into bottom of a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, reserving 3/4 cup. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; add reserved sauce. Spoon mixture into peppers; place in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until peppers are tender, 3-1/2-4-1/2 hours.
- Spoon cooking juices over peppers. If desired, top with additional blue cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 593 calories, 39g fat (13g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1510mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Sausage and Blue Cheese Stuffed Peppers in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018