Sausage and Sauerkraut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the potatoes in oil for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in onion; saute for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the sausage, sauerkraut and pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 567 calories, 38g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 2043mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 20g protein.
Feb 9, 2020
potatoes were still hard
Jan 10, 2020
Really enjoyed this! The flavors go well together.
Jun 22, 2019
Simple to make and very enjoyable; I liked it the first time I made it that I made it again.
Mar 3, 2019
A go-to recipe for me, and it also works with leftover baked or boiled potatoes.
Jun 3, 2018
I followed the recipe exactly and was not disappointed. Easy and quick to make. One of our favorites.
May 29, 2018
If you like sauerkraut, you will love this. So quick and easy. The only thing I did different is fried the sausage pieces separately to get them brown then sauteed the sauerkraut with additional onion in the same pan with some of the grease, then mixed it altogether with the potatoes. Next time I would try to use bacongrease for additional flavour.
Aug 30, 2016
Very good and oh, SO easy! I used frozen southern style hashbrowns in place of cubing my own potatoes. Thank you so much for this recipe!
Feb 5, 2016
Very easy to make, and very good. A
Dec 29, 2015
Very good, easy dinner. I added a few extra potatoes and some leftover smoked ham I had in the fridge. I also added about half a teaspoon of caraway seeds. A good recipe to alter to your tastes.
Oct 16, 2015
Very easy preparation, and really good hearty meal with your veggie and meat in one dish.