Sausage and Kraut Buns
This recipe has become a regular at our church potlucks. Let's just say I'm "in trouble" if I show up at a get-together and they don't appear! For a fun dinner spin, try these sausages and kraut over mashed potatoes. —Patsy Unruh, Perryton, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) smoked sausage, sliced
- 12 pretzel sausage buns, warmed and split partway
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine first seven ingredients. In a large skillet, saute sausage over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Stir into tomato mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours. Serve in buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 468 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 1491mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Smoked Sausage and Sauerkraut in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017
Sep 10, 2019
I made this in the crockpot for game day and it was delicious. I made mashed potatoes and some had it with that instead of the bun for a gluten free option. I also used bratwurst instead of smoked sausage.