German Potato Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 3 pounds medium potatoes (about 10), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cups water
- BROWNED BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes. Stir in flour, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and nutmeg. Shape into sixteen (2-in.) balls.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 12 cups water to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and onion over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until butter is golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs. Serve with dumplings.
Nutrition Facts2 dumplings with 2 tablespoons sauce: 367 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Mar 2, 2018
I'm sorry but these were without flavour or taste - I even boiled them in a broth rather than plain water. Perhaps in a stew with gravy and a LOT of seasoning. Terribly embarrassing to serve.
Dec 10, 2017
Like Katia, chilling a bit can make a difference. My Austrian parents and grandmother's used to make these and like pjandmjsnider, a horseradish sauce was sometimes served with them. I remember having Sauerbraten with them too. Freezes well too if you want to make a big batch.
Aug 4, 2017
To help keep their shape, I chilled the dumplings for an hour or so in the fridge before boiling. Also I substituted sweet potatoes for regular potatoes. Served with sage butter and pasta. Yum!
Jan 25, 2015
The key to keeping them from falling apart is to be quite firm in shaping them. They have to good and solid or as my German great grandmother would say: dicht.
Oct 16, 2014
These had a doughy texture and not much flavor.
Oct 6, 2014
Everything seemed fine up through forming the dumplings, but when I added them to the water they fell apart. In the end I only had 4 whole dumplings and then lots of little potato pieces. We could still eat them but it was disappointing.
Sep 29, 2014
This was good and relatively simple to make. I threw everything into the mixer. Once it was smooth, the potatoes were cool enough to handle. However, this really heated up the kitchen with the constant boiling of water. The dumplings were very good, but I'm not sure I would make again.
Sep 28, 2014
For the amount of work involved, these were not very good. Bland and mushy. I think I'd rather just have the mashed potatoes with gravy.
Sep 26, 2014
These are excellent. I've also served them with gravy and the dumplings just soak it up.
Sep 1, 2014
I was so excited to make these dumplings as an alternative to spaetzle for our Oktoberfest style dinner. I thought I'd be clever and save time by using packaged mashed potatoes but apparently that was a big mistake. The dumplings were very mushy---but very, very tasty. I'll use the real deal next time (and there will be a next time for sure!)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.