German Potato Salad with Sausage
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 8 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Saute onion in drippings for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook until lightly browned. Add potatoes; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soup, sauerkraut, water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and cook on low until potatoes are tender, 6-7 hours.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 674 calories, 44g fat (15g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 1643mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 28, 2017
This recipe is absolutely delicious. I've made this several times. It is tasty and filling. When I made this, I adapted it for the top of the stove and did not use a slow cooker. I did NOT rinse the kraut, and used about double what was called for. I put about 1/4 cup more of water and cooked in covered heavy dutch oven slowly on top of stove - about an hour. It was absolutely delicious.
Jun 10, 2017
Oh my goodness! This is absolutely the best potato salad that I have ever made! My family loves any potato salad with brown mustard but the sauerkrout was the magic ingredient that. I will make it again!
Feb 13, 2017
I really enjoyed this! I like that the potatoes were browned first to get that tasty texture outside. I also liked that it has a long cook time. I work long hours and end up burning a lot of recipes if I don't plug the slow cooker into a timer.
Jan 18, 2017
Made this per recipe BEST POTATO SALAD EVER!!! Give yourself a treat!
Sep 29, 2016
I made this using leftover bacon (yes that's a real thing at my house) and in a hurry, so I added my reserved bacon grease directly to the crockpot, then sausage and onion. Instead of rinsing and draining all the flavor off the sauerkraut, I left the juice in and omitted the water and salt from the recipe. Since I wasn't pre-browning the potatoes, I tossed the cut pieces with the soup mixture (so they wouldn't stick together) before adding that to the crockpot. Finally, I saved the bacon to top the potato salad at the end, so it stayed crispy.This was delicious and is on our list of recipes to repeat.
Sep 17, 2016
This was so good i went by the recipe it came out great!
Sep 11, 2015
This is very good. My family loved it and I didn't have any leftovers.
Feb 26, 2014
This is in the crockpot right now...can't wait till supper time! The only thing I did different was added a bit of caraway seed. Oh wait, reading down I see someone suggest adding a few carrots...gotta go!
Oct 24, 2013
This is really good and easy. I added extra sauerkraut and it was fantastic. Otherwise, kept everything else the same and the family loved it.
Oct 4, 2013
Simple to prepare and so delicious! I love sauerkraut so I add extra and don't rinse it in order to get a tangier flavor. I add extra bacon as well. A terrific main dish on it's own, leftovers can be used as a side dish. This is a wonderful, hearty one dish meal that's excellent in the fall and winter.