Sausage-Stuffed Red Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 9 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-9 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add onions and 4-1/2 teaspoons parsley; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out 1 tablespoon pulp (save for another use).
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons sausage mixture into each half. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 63 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat.
Aug 5, 2013
Little too much parsley. Used about half.
Sep 7, 2012
I agree with the other reviews -- I did not use the microwave and it is way too much parsley! I added 4 oz. of cream cheese to help the filling stick together and I sprinkled the cheddar cheese on top. They got hot and bubbley under the broiler!
May 30, 2012
Used a standard oven instead of a "Mc-nuclear". Also used chicken sausage instead of turkey. Was very good and will make again with a few twists of my own. Sliced Black olives, chopped mushrooms come to mind right away.
Apr 3, 2012
It was really easy and good, but had way too much parsley for my taste. I cut the amount by half, and thought that was perfect.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.