Cast-Iron Pizza Pie
I love shortcuts, so I created this cast-iron pizza using the convenience of frozen bread dough. It's versatile, so pile on your family's favorite pizza toppings. — Carol Gillespie, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed and halved
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Roll half of dough into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Layer with half of each of the following: mozzarella, Parmesan and pizza sauce. Top with the sausage mixture, pepperoni, mushrooms and 1/8 teaspoon oregano.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling; seal edges. Layer with remaining pizza sauce, cheeses and oregano. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes.