Herb-Stuffed Red Peppers
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, divided
- Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds. Place peppers and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, parsley, salt, cayenne and allspice.
- In a small saucepan, bring tomato sauce and broth to a boil. Stir in the vinegar, basil and 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; stir about 1/2 cup sauce into rice mixture. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until peppers are tender. Serve with remaining sauce.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 482 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1798mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 12, 2018
These are the only stuffed peppers I make. I double the sauce. Also reducing the amount of vinegar suits my taste better. My 7 y.o. loves these!
Jan 23, 2018
These were delicious! I think this will be my go-to stuffed peppers recipe. I only made two "tweaks": I only did a pinch of cayenne so the dish wasn't spicy, and instead of chicken broth, I used beef broth. I don't know how the chicken broth would taste, but the beef broth tasted amazing! I'm not sure I even want to try using the chicken broth now haha! I think next time I'll cook the beef and the rice beforehand to save on time. Do NOT skip the sauce either, yum! Great meal, thank you!
Dec 20, 2014
Tasty enough, quick, and easy weeknight meal. I think I would add some spinach or broccoli next time, felt it needed something green. After topping with cheese, I did put mine in a preheated oven for about 8-10 min.
Feb 8, 2014
Excellent recipe. Loved the flavors in this!
Nov 5, 2013
These were soooo good! Even my picky eater loved it! This is now a regular dish at my home! Thank you so much!!!
Aug 8, 2013
I have had stuffed green bell peppers and was never too fond of the. I like red peppers better so I thought I'd try this recipe. Dang these are good! I doubled the sauce to serve on the side. I used half Parmesan and half Romano cheese. The sauce is wonderful! They are even better the next day.
Jun 12, 2013
I used buckwheat groats instead of the brown rice and they were still yummy!
May 9, 2013
best recipe I have found for stuffed peppers.Hard to find recipes for 2 people
Jul 18, 2011
Absolutely delicious. I made exactly as stated. Next time I will double the sauce ingredients, not enough for dipping.
Jul 18, 2011
It's so nice to find a stuffed pepper recipe that only feeds two. I only added one teaspoon of balsamic vinegar since I think it can be a little overpowering, but we liked the extra flavor it gave the sauce.