Cheesy Sausage Penne
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream and onions.
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, layer half of the pasta and sausage mixture. Dollop with half the cream cheese mixture; sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 422 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2018
This was very good. I used a few less noodles than the recipe called for because I was worried it would be dry. I also used a 9 x 13 pan. Thank You.
Jan 10, 2018
This was very good!! I used a few less noodles than the recipe called for because I was worried it would be dry. I also used a 9 x 13 pan. Thank You!
Jan 7, 2018
This was very yummy. I cut this in half for just my husband and I and put it in a 1.5-qt baking dish. Everything was to the very top and threatening to spill over, so next time I'll probably put it in a 2-qt. I already had leftover bulk Italian sausage cooked (it was a beef/pork/bacon sausage mix), so I initially heated that, then proceeded to adding the spaghetti sauce (I used a tomato & basil). I used ziti instead of penne which seemed to work fine. I believe I only baked it for about 25 minutes or so (which was plenty). Overall, very very tasty. My only complaint is that I found it to be a tad dry. The noodles really soaked up the sauce so there didn't really seem to be much there. Maybe next time I'll add in more. Otherwise, this needed no other tweaks.
Sep 8, 2016
This recipe is similar to one I've made for years, except mine calls for ground beef and linguine......so this was a nice change of pace! Aside from the ingredients called for, I used more garlic (4 cloves) and added one onion, chopped, which I sauteed along with the sausage. And I added one 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes along with the spaghetti sauce and seasoned the mixture with basil, oregano, parmesan, a little kosher salt and sugar. Baked mine a little longer - about 40 minutes, and I waited until the last 5 minutes to add the final layer of cheddar cheese. Very tasty and something I'll make again!
Nov 6, 2014
My son is allergic to wheat and we used Gluten free penne pasta for this dish. The whole family loved this meal and requested it be served often!
May 9, 2014
Been some time since I've made this delicious dish. Making for dinner tonite!!
Dec 18, 2012
This is really good, but very indulgent. Everyone liked it, but we all felt like it was a major cheat meal.
Nov 17, 2012
I use less cream cheese...
Nov 12, 2012
Love this one! Even my VERY picky kids will eat it. It's a family fave!
Oct 4, 2012
My mom was the only one in my family that liked this recipe!! Niether my dad or I liked it. The sour cream sauce is too intense and was really really sour. I would make a huge substitution if I was to make this again!! We ate all of it because I didn't want to cook anything else. This is one of only a handful that I have gotten from ToH that we did not like!