Cheesy Bacon Penne
This satisfying classic gets its flair by mixing in two of the best foods around: bacon and garlic!—Sharon Skildum, Maple Grove, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in flour and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 2 cups of cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta; add pasta and 1/3 cup bacon to cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 402 calories, 24g fat (16g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar Shrimp and Penne in Bacon 2010 RD Special
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.