Cheesy Sausage Gravy
I appreciate the make-ahead convenience of this breakfast dish shared by a friend many years ago. I've served this to overnight guests, and they never fail to ask for the recipe. —P.J. Prusia, Raymore, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Warm biscuits
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and remove sausage. In the same skillet, melt butter. Stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in soup until blended. Stir in eggs, mushrooms and sausage. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Stir; serve over biscuits.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 318 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 210mg cholesterol, 761mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Sep 4, 2009
I have a picnic/campover every year at my house. Have served this for breakfast the past 3 years. Everybody loves it. Fix it and forget it the night before. Pull biscuits from the freezer and bake them in the a.m.