Meatballs and Gravy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk, cornstarch, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and ginger. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. meatballs. (Mixture will be very soft. For easier shaping, rinse hands in cold water frequently.)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the meatballs in butter, half at a time, for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove meatballs to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- For gravy, add butter to drippings. Stir in flour. Add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Return meatballs to skillet; heat through on low. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 302 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Sep 14, 2019
The meatballs tasted odd. Not horrible, still eatable for myself but my family tasted it and threw the whole meal away. The gravy was good though. I would rather substitute the ground beef and onions for pumpkin and make a pie instead.
Dec 5, 2017
Absolutely incredible meat balls this is it for me I don't want to try another's recipe because this one is so good, I cool the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before making the meatballs , I use my cookie scoop,and it was just the right size. I USE one pound of beef and half pound of ground pork to make my pound and half and it was perfect. WOW I will make again and again. Thank you for the recipe.
Apr 21, 2016
Excellent. I've made them once and plan to make them again. My family loved it with mashed potatoes. I tripled the sauce. It goes well with the mashed potatoes. The one thing that didn't work well was they turned into meat patties instead of meat balls. I think I'm going to try and freeze the meat balls first and then cook them--perhaps that will help keep these round.
Sep 18, 2015
I looooove southern food (Paula Deen recipe fanatic; minus half the butter) and when I came across this recipe I was skeptical about the outcome because of the spices used to season the meat but trust me, this recipe is more than phenomenal! You WILL love it. I wanted to debunk this recipe soooo bad that I made it exactly as written. I goofed and only had 1.25 lbs of meat instead of 1.5lbs so because I didn't reduce the milk, the meat was very wet but still held together in the pan. Even after that mishap, the recipe is still Worthy of a 5 star review. The gravy alone would make you wanna slap your mama. They were THAT GOOD!! Enjoy!!
Feb 11, 2015
I followed this recipe to a T. I was doubtful, but it seemed everyone loved these. The use of cornstarch instead of breadcrumbs along with the combination of spices had me scared. I can't begin to tell you how well these turned out. This is very similar to Swedish Meatball and is a great alternative when you don't have any sour cream on hand. I used evaporated low fat milk in place of the half and half.
Jul 10, 2014
Wow, this was a surprise in the taste. I had no idea they were going to be this good with what the recipe called for. Every one made a comment remarking how good they were. Will make them again.
Feb 13, 2014
We enjoyed these meatballs; thank you!
May 1, 2013
this was a very good swedish meatball recipe. i goofed and forgot to add the onion to the meatballs, so i cooked them with the gravy and it was still delicious! the meat mixture is very wet, they went into the pan as meatballs but flatened out as they cooked. doesn't matter, they're little meatcakes. will definitely make again.
Jan 14, 2012
Dec 30, 2010
we love this recipe- its even good to make as a meatloaf lol