Classic Swedish Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 1-2/3 cups evaporated milk, divided
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Canned lingonberries, optional
- Combine 2/3 cup evaporated milk with the next five ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly. Refrigerate until chilled.
- With wet hands, shape meat mixture into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Brown meatballs in batches. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Pour over meatballs; bring to a boil. Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together cold water and flour. Remove meatballs from skillet; skim fat, reserving juices. Add flour mixture and remaining evaporated milk to pan juices; cook, uncovered, over low heat, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Return meatballs to skillet. Stir in lemon juice. If desired, top with lingonberries.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 36 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 28, 2017
Dec 26, 2017
Good one too
Oct 30, 2017
I need to try this one again. I accidently put too much evaporated milk. The allspice made it taste too weird. You have to do more than just brown the meat. There was another one here that was much better tasting. I gave it four stars due to a mistake I made in the recipe.
Jul 2, 2017
This is the best recipe I have for Swedish meatballs!! I have fixed them many times over the years and they still get rave reviews everywhere I take them!! Soooo good!!
Apr 6, 2017
I thought that this was an okay dish. My sauce did not get as thick as I would have liked. I did make a few changes to the meatballls. I used pork instead of beef, I added an egg to help the meatballs stay together, and I added half the onion and allspice that it called for. My family is not big on onion taste, and halving the onion still gave these meatballs plenty of onion flavor.
Feb 16, 2017
Made these tonight! Very tasty!I did bake them instead of frying in a pan so that they stayed together better!
Jan 12, 2017
I followed the ingredient list and recipe to a "T" and my meatballs pathetically fell apart. I ended up just cooking the meatballs like a meat sauce and pouring it over pasta. The flavor was great.
Apr 4, 2015
Really good, I used lamb instead of beef my husband devoured them
Dec 30, 2014
Very good , made them for a party and everyone loved them .
Sep 11, 2012
My boyfriend really enjoyed this, and I liked it as well. I think I just don't care for the taste, not the recipe.