Danish Meatballs with Pan Gravy
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape 1/4 cupfuls of mixture into 18 meatballs; flatten to 1-in. thickness.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat; cook meatballs in batches 8-9 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from pan, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan. (If necessary, add additional butter to the drippings to reach 1/4 cup.)
- For gravy, stir flour, bouillon granules, pepper and salt into drippings until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meatballs.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts2 meatballs with 3 tablespoons gravy: 333 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 786mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Jun 10, 2020
I was born and raised in Copenhagen Denmark, and i would suggest using regular ground pork, not pork sausage.. sausage tends to have too many spices that will mask the flavors.. And also use flour instead of the bread crumbs, it makes the meat balls stay together
Dec 28, 2019
I make this all the time, my mom was born in Aaberg, Denmark I add ground cloves to this, just about 1/4 tsp or less. Really brings the flavor to this recipe. The recipe I have is my grandma's, taste of home is very close to the recipe except for the cloves.
Jul 17, 2019
Making with my grandsons, really nice flavor, and the gravy makes a dellightfull home made dish
Oct 20, 2017
I made the meatball portion of this recipe and used them for spaghetti and meatballs. I did not make the pan gravy. The meatballs are wonderful, my whole family loved them. I had never made them with soft breadcrumbs before, I always used dry and it made a world of difference in texture and lightness.