German Meatballs with Gingersnap Gravy
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed gingersnaps (about 10 cookies)
- Cooked noodles
- Combine the egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup water, onion, salt and pepper; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, bring remaining water to a boil. Add bouillon, brown sugar, raisins, lemon juice and gingersnaps. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add meatballs to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Stir occasionally. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 387 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 985mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Jan 22, 2017
Very good! I did not have raisins so I omitted them. A quick dinner when you are hungry for "comfort food"! I served these meatballs with spaetzel.
Jun 12, 2014
Excellent!!! Wonderful different tasting gravy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.