Cheesy Sausage Stromboli
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add water, milk and butter; beat on low until well combined.
- Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and cool. Stir in the mozzarella, 2 eggs and basil; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spoon half of the sausage mixture lengthwise down one side of rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut four diagonal slits on top of stromboli. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 370 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 12, 2018
This was tasty. I might try other meats in it just to change it up.
Sep 7, 2016
yes, you can make the dough in a bread machine. I do it all the time.Have never made it any other wayI also change it up by using ham, beef and pepperoni along with a few veggies of your choose.
Jun 1, 2016
we used wheat flour and it was absolutely fantastic!
Aug 21, 2014
My family liked the crust but the filling was not as well received. Followed the recipe exactly.
Mar 24, 2014
Wonderful! I made half a recipe of this along with a more traditional Stromboli. This was the preferred one hands down. Wish I had made the full recipe.
Mar 25, 2011
I omitted the basil the 2nd time I made it and liked it better.
Feb 26, 2011
I use frozen bread dough to make this recipe easier. I also add diced onions and mushrooms to the sausage. This is the most-requested recipe in my house!
Nov 12, 2010
One of my husband's favorites. I usually add a can of sliced mushrooms to the sausage. If you don't want to make the dough frozen bread dough can be used.
Feb 9, 2010
Excellent! Though it takes a few hours prep work due to the dough rising, the actual prep work involved is very minimal. Tastes excellent and looks good as well.
Jan 1, 2010
I loved this. I halved the recipe and it was still huge with plenty of leftovers. I thought it may be a good idea to add some veggies the next time I make it or to just stick with the original. Either way you'll love it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.