Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 sandwich loaves (8 servings each)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) Italian bread, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, oregano, fennel seed and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic powder; spread over top halves of bread. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese over each bottom bread half. Spoon meat mixture over top; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Replace bread tops; wrap each sandwich loaf in foil. Bake at 350° until cheese is melted, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 355 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Aug 14, 2015
This was okay but not great. I made 1/2 recipe and served it on individual Italian hoagie rolls, since I live alone and was not having company.
Jun 26, 2014
Made these for dinner tonight. A big hit. I recommend tasting before building the sandwiches. I added salt & pepper. I also used 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 Italian sausage. Left out the fennel. I didn't measure the cheese, just put it on by handfuls. Really good with banana peppers or pepperoncinis. Next time I will add chopped bell peppers.
Apr 21, 2013
My family wasn't overly impressed with this recipe. Edible but not something I will be making again. Very easy to make though! :-)
Nov 6, 2012
Yum! Husband approved!
Jul 23, 2011
We really like these and will make again many times. Our local pizzaria makes them with ground sausage and onion. My husband wants me to try making those too.
Oct 21, 2010
I've made these a number of times.Great for bunco & poker parties.
Jul 30, 2009
This is a terrific recipe, My family loves-um
Jul 9, 2009
I made half the recipe and used only one loaf of bread, although I did use more cheese! My husband and I enjoyed this!-Lori
Jun 24, 2009
My family really enjoyed these. I had left over meat, so made extra sandwiches in buns!
Nov 26, 2008
These are amazing and even better the second day warmed up. Already a family favorite.