Herbed Sausage Gravy over Cheese Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 cubes (about 1/2-in.)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 450°. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and oil just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place a pinch of oregano in the center of each biscuit; top with a cheese cube.
- Moisten edge of dough with water and pull up over cheese, forming a pouch; pinch tightly to seal. Place seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet, pressing down lightly. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in milk and oregano. Mix flour and water until smooth; add to sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve gravy with biscuits.
Nutrition Facts2 biscuits with 1/2 cup gravy: 626 calories, 31g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1132mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 4, 2017
Has anyone tried this biscuit recipe yet? I'm still on the dough part and wonder if there is a misprint in this recipe...Seems to need more moisture to stick together enough to even roll out. Suggestions, please.