Homemade Biscuits & Maple Sausage Gravy
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- SAUSAGE GRAVY:
- 1 pound bulk maple pork sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and, if desired, pepper. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll dough to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 15-17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 4-6 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with warm biscuits.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit with 1/2 cup gravy: 371 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 915mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 11, 2014
Made these biscuits last night and they were delicious! I had all the ingredients on hand and the recipe was easy to follow. The best part was everyone had seconds and there were no leftovers...