Makeover Biscuits & Gravy
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound bulk chicken sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat dough into a 7x5-in. rectangle (about 1 in. thick); cut into six pieces. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic, thyme, pepper flakes and pepper; cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add broth to pan. In a small bowl, mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until thickened.
- Split biscuits in half; serve warm with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit with 1/3 cup gravy: 308 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Nov 25, 2015
So delicious and easy to make! I used Quorn Brand meatless and soy free chick'n tenders instead of the chicken sausage. I used Better Than Bouillon No chicken chicken bouillon.We will definitely have this again. Thank you, Ian, for sharing this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.