Makeover Biscuits & Gravy
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound bulk chicken sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat dough into a 7x5-in. rectangle (about 1 in. thick); cut into six pieces. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic, thyme, pepper flakes and pepper; cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add broth to pan. In a small bowl, mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until thickened.
- Split biscuits in half; serve warm with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit with 1/3 cup gravy: 308 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 6, 2019
I love sausage and gravy but always felt guilty about eating it. This is a great recipe. It is easily adapted to whatever your eating purposes are i.e. vegan or whatever you prefer. It is a great recipe!
Nov 25, 2015
So delicious and easy to make! I used Quorn Brand meatless and soy free chick'n tenders instead of the chicken sausage. I used Better Than Bouillon No chicken chicken bouillon.We will definitely have this again. Thank you, Ian, for sharing this recipe.