Chicken and Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, basil, thyme and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the vegetables, chicken and cheese; reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil and parsley; stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- Transfer hot chicken mixture to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Drop biscuit batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 246 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 18, 2017
This was VERY easy to make and very flavorful. I used gluten-free flour in the biscuits and chicken mixture with great results. Comforting, filling and delicious!
Jun 24, 2016
This turned out good. I did add salt, butter and extra veggies to the filling. I also made extra biscuit dough and used melted butter instead of oil.
Jan 28, 2015
Maybe it was just me?? But we didn't care for this recipe at all with the exception of the biscuits and we made this as the recipe stated. Eh, we just weren't fans.
May 13, 2014
This was quick to make and assemble. Most ingredients everyone already has. Recipe also lends itself to substitutions if need be. We really enjoyed it tremendously! Nice mellow flavor, sure to please most. Biscuits toasted up light brown just like the photo. And it's a meal in one dish! Gotta love dat! Try it!
Jan 5, 2014
Have made this however it's been some time. Casseroles are easy for us, especially for leftovers.
Mar 24, 2013
It's really good however I made a few tweaks...first no frozen mixed veg...I diced baby carrots and added some frozen cooked peas. Also I sauteed onions and 2 TB garlic together with 2 TB of butter and added the spices.Also I used Pillsbury southern style buttermilk biscuits. I baked for 15 mins uncovered then 15 mins covered to make sure the biscuits didn't burn and turned out perfect.
Jan 12, 2012
Easy to make! Delicious! I add cream of chicken soup to the mixture as well as diced potatoes(right from the can), just to add a little something extra!
Dec 12, 2011
Easy and delicious!
Feb 2, 2011
Delicious! Although I always cook 1 lb raw cubed chicken with the onions, increase flour to 1/3 cup to thicken a little bit more, use 3 tbsps parmesan roman cheese and add salt to taste.
Dec 15, 2010
AWESOME! I've been making this recipe for years! It's so easy and tastes so good. I have always gotten compliments when making this meal. Thanks for a great recipe!!! :)