Chicken Stew over Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 envelopes chicken gravy mix
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into eight wedges
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tube (6 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the gravy mix, water, wine, parsley, bouillon, garlic and pepper. Add the carrots, onion and chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, bake biscuits according to package directions. Place biscuits in soup bowls; top with stew.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 429 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1288mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 8, 2016
This is one of our favorite meals. Whenever I prepare this for our guests, I always get rave reviews!
Oct 6, 2011
I have made this recipe many times. I always add extra carrots, onions, and spices. I am not a fan of canned biscuits, so I buy a dozen Bojangle biscuits. My family loves it.
Jan 6, 2011
This is one of my families favorite recipes. It is so delicious and super super easy!
Sep 18, 2010
Love this recipe! I used chicken broth instead of the white wine - tasted much better!
Mar 3, 2010
I guess I thought it would come out like chicken pot pie filling. Wasn't crazy about the flavor the wine added. I won't be making this again.
Feb 6, 2010
Do you leave the chicken in bigger pieces, like the breast and thigh? Also, what could you substitute for the white wine? Sounds really good and easy!
Sep 29, 2008
I have made this stew and it's very delicious. The only thing different was I made "Mile High Biscuits" (from scratch). Yummy!!**Sincerely**