Creamed Chicken ‘n’ Biscuits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- CREAMED CHICKEN:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk or chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add milk and oil. Stir until the dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead 8-10 times or until smooth.
- Roll or pat dough into a 6-in. square about 1 in. thick. Cut into six rectangles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and parsley; cook until heated through. Split biscuits; top with the creamed chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 502 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 14, 2019
Very good. I plan to add slivered almonds and pimentos to the next batch for some crunch and color and to add a little variety of taste. I had the biscuits and chicken breast that needed to be used and I had all the ingredients so it was easy and quick!
Feb 17, 2019
May 24, 2018
I had my own biscuit recipe, but the creamy chicken gravy was amazing! This is a favorite meal at our house!
Jan 3, 2016
Made it today, and it was delicious! I added peas, and next time I make it I will make more of the yummy cream sauce. The biscuits were easy to make and very tasty!
May 17, 2013
This was my first time making chicken and biscuits and it turned out great! I doubled the recipe and added peas. I also cooked my chicken breasts in my crockpot with cream of chicken soup on top and then shredded them.
Jan 17, 2013
Quick easy and good!
Jul 28, 2012
big hit at my home!
Jun 19, 2012
Simple and easy to make- tastes very good. I cheated and used Pillsbury biscuits, so it was even easier.
May 13, 2012
This recipe is great! However, there are some things to keep in mind.I have no idea why the recipe says that you could use milk or broth. This is clearly a recipe that you should use milk in. If you feel that you must use the broth, make sure to cut all the salt out and then add it in later, to taste. (Broth usually has quite a bit of salt added to it.)Also, be careful when cutting out ingredients. If you cut half the butter in half with the gravy, then you're cutting out quite a bit of liquid. This means that you need to change the amount of flour you use as well as the amount of milk you put in later.Seriously, people, stop leaving bad reviews for things when you don't even make the recipe correctly the first time. My husband and I have been making this recipe for years and have never had a single problem with it.
Jan 13, 2012
I cut the butter in half, and only used half the salt, but it was still VERY salty. I think it was probably because I used chicken broth, not milk. I would recommend using the milk or else cutting out the salt altogether.