Sour Cream-Leek Biscuits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add leeks; cook until tender, 6-7 minutes. Cool.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in leeks, sour cream and water just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place biscuits 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet; bake until golden brown, 12-16 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit: 166 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Feb 4, 2018
We used half whole wheat flour and half white flour since we did not have white whole wheat flour. We enjoyed the recipe but think it could use just a bit more salt.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.