Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter. cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cheese and toss. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll to 1 in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart in a large ungreased cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Bake at 425° until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit: 304 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 22, 2015
These were very easy. I didn't have any cayenne pepper, but they were delicious without it. A big hit in our house.
Oct 25, 2014
These are excellent and always a hit whenever I serve them. They are great with stew or served with butter and jam. The cayenne pepper is a great addition. Easy and quick to make, these are my go to biscuits.
Mar 24, 2012
Very easy and delicious! Of course this is from a brickbat maker.
Jun 25, 2010
These biscuits are flavorful and surprisingly light. I served them with garlic butter, and that was the final touch - oh, so good!!Tamara Chronister, Montrose, CO.