Buttermilk Angel Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-1/4 to 5-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, whisk 5-1/4 cups flour, sugar and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times, adding flour if needed. Roll dough to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit: 180 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 28, 2015
Excellent! Easy! Delicious
Apr 21, 2014
Excellent taste and texture. Very light and stay together when sliced, spreading butter and Jam. I made the full recipe exactly to the directions to test it but next time will only make half as it makes a full 2 dozen. I used butter flavored Crisco which gave them a light buttery flavor too. I found the dough easy to work with even though it was sticky (as noted), it was easy to knead and cut.
Apr 16, 2014
These were good, but not sure if the addition of yeast made them any better than my regular buttermilk biscuits.
Apr 6, 2014
I saw these in the April/May 2014 magazine and couldn't wait to make them. I made these this morning and they turned out very light but not flaky. They go very good with apple butter. And if you have any left they freeze well.
Mar 23, 2014
At first I was not sure about this recipe since it included active dry yeast, however, I was pleasantly surprised. These are not hearty biscuits, they are very tender, but very good. We ate them with grilled chicken, green beans and crock pot potatoes. I had one for dessert and put peach preserves on them. Very good!! I made them exactly as the recipe stated. Thanks for a different biscuit!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.