Orange Chocolate Chip Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chocolate chips. In another bowl, mix milk, orange zest and extract until blended; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into an 8-in. circle. Cut each into eight wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Lightly brush scones with cream; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 245 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 28, 2017
These are phenomenal! My two favorite flavors together; orange and chocolate. I eat a Paleo diet 80% of the time (no sugar or grains) so I reduced the sugar to half of a third cup, and the chocolate chips also to half, and they were plenty sweet for me. Will freeze and have one occasionally with an egg for breakfast.
Jul 23, 2016
Delicious scones! I made a glaze with powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest in place of the sugar and cinnamon topping...just because I like glaze on scones and it adds even more orange flavor! I also mixed them in my food processor, which made the recipe quick and easy to prepare.
May 9, 2016
These were delicious! Best served warm out of the oven.
Apr 4, 2016
I love scones! This recipe is delicious and so easy to make since it uses things I readily have on hand. I love them warm from the oven with whipped cream!