Our Test Kitchen pros made ordinary biscuits even heartier by stirring in ground ham. These hand-held goodies are great fresh from the oven. — Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a food processor, process ham until ground; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, onion powder, garlic powder and mustard. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Fold in ham and chives. Add buttermilk; stir just until the dough clings together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10-12 times. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place in a large ungreased cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Bake at 450° until golden brown, 13-15 minutes. Brush with butter. Serve warm.