Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 tubes (16.3 ounces each) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 3-5 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Add butter; heat until melted. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. Spoon 1/2 cup gravy mixture over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. Wet edge and fold dough over filling; press edge with a fork to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 12-14 minutes.
- <b>Freeze option: </b> Cover and freeze unbaked pockets on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet until firm. Transfer to freezer containers; return to freezer. To use, bake pockets on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 400° oven until golden brown and heated through, 12-14 minutes. If desired, brush with additional melted butter.
1 pocket: 313 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 946mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.