Meaty Sloppy Joe Pockets
It’s easy to turn sloppy joes into hearty hot pocket snacks. I make the filling ahead and use refrigerated biscuits. I time them so they’re done baking just before kickoff. —Shelly Flye, Albion, Maine
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and carrot over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. Spoon scant 1/3 cup beef mixture over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edge with a fork to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut three slits in top of each. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 pocket (calculated without cheese): 294 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 909mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.