Meaty Sloppy Joe Pockets
It’s easy to turn sloppy joes into hearty hot pocket snacks. I make the filling ahead and use refrigerated biscuits. I time them so they’re done baking just before kickoff. —Shelly Flye, Albion, Maine
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and carrot over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. Spoon scant 1/3 cup beef mixture over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edge with a fork to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut three slits in top of each. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 pocket (calculated without cheese): 294 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 909mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Sloppy Joe Pockets in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.