Handy Sausage Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Melted butter
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain well and set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in the sausage.
- In another bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 6-8 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2 in. biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Brush tops with butter. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit: 131 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 2, 2017
I made this with self rising flour and added one cup of freshly grated extra sharp cheddar cheese. It made a dozen regular sized biscuits. My family absolutely loved them!! They are definitely part of the regular rotation now! Next time I'm going to add chives!
Nov 13, 2009
I absolutely love these biscuits. We love sausage and biscuits so it doesn't get any better!!