Cheddar Bacon Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta, bacon and onion mixture to the sauce; stir to coat. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 528 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 26, 2014
Enjoyed the taste and will be making it often.
Jan 8, 2014
Loved! I used store bought real bacon bits. More tasty with cheese that you grate yourself. Just melts better.
Apr 26, 2012
Very easy to make with a nice flavour. Different from the usual mac and cheese.
Apr 17, 2012
I wish I would have read the reviews before I made this. I used sharp cheddar and gouda and we were all very disappointed in the taste...and this from a family that loves mac & cheese. I thought bacon made everything great?
Feb 20, 2012
Very rich and creamy!
Dec 30, 2010
This was good, but I found it to be a bit bland. Will likely make it again, but will add some herbs or spices. I like the suggestion of adding cayenne.
Dec 21, 2010
This was really yummy! I added a little garlic salt and a little cayenne pepper and black pepper. Very "grown up mac" and cheese! My prep time took a bit longer, I hand grated the cheese and used a kitchen scale to get the amount right, If you don't buy it already grated, there are quite a few variables in weight vs cups. With a side salad and fruit it was a great meal!
Nov 30, 2009
good and hearty
Jul 23, 2009
This is fine