Bacon-Cheddar Potato Croquettes
Instead of throwing out leftover mashed potatoes, use them to make this potato croquette recipe. The little baked balls are yummy with ranch dressing, barbecue sauce or Dijon mayonnaise for dipping. —Pamela Shank, Parkersburg, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 4 cups cold mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 40 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Barbecue sauce, Dijon-mayonnaise blend or ranch salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Shape mixture by tablespoonfuls into balls. Roll in cracker crumbs. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Combine butter and paprika; drizzle over croquettes. Bake at 375° until golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce of your choice. Freeze option: Prepare croquettes as directed, omitting chilling step. Transfer to waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Prepare butter mixture; drizzle over croquettes. Cover and freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, bake croquettes as directed, increasing time to 20-25 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce.
Originally published as Bacon-Cheddar Potato Croquettes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.