Bacon Potato Waffles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Maple syrup or chunky applesauce
- Additional crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, mashed potatoes, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in onion and bacon.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with syrup or applesauce. Sprinkle with additional bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 318 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 3, 2017
I wish I had made a double batch. If you like a more tender waffle, you will love these. I made them without bacon or onions, and with a tsp of vanilla. They seem to take a bit longer to cook than some other waffles, but it is well worth it.When I told my boyfriend that I was making potato waffles, he declined. After he had one, he was praying that I had more!Should have made a double batch.
Apr 1, 2014
Responding to bziol:Mashed sweet potatoes should work fine. You will have a sweeter waffle, since you added brown sugar when you mashed.
Aug 10, 2013
i made this receipe and used leftover mashed potatoes. it was a hit. my family loves wafles and this worked out great. it give another use for leftovers and no one is the wiser. it is a great budget stretcher in that manner.
Mar 20, 2013
Absolutely delicious but I didn't add the onion. I sometimes make mashed potatoes and freeze them anyway, now I portion out a couple of baggies of taters to just pull out for waffles. Waffles freeze very well also
Feb 6, 2013
I wonder how these would taste with mashed sweet potatoes. I used butter and brown sugar when I mashed the sweets so it could give some good flavor in combination with the bacon.
Nov 7, 2010
so soft and great! made these with shredded chicken ham instead made about 12 large pancakes.
Apr 7, 2010
We loved the consistency of these waffles - soft on the inside and crispy on the out. The only thing I'd do different is add about two more strips of bacon to it. Great, hearty breakfast!