Delicious Potato Doughnuts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- FAST FUDGE FROSTING:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, buttermilk and eggs. Stir in the butter, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and enough of the flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat out to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. floured doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry the doughnuts for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place on paper towels.
- For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the water, butter and vanilla. Dip tops of warm doughnuts in frosting.
Nutrition Facts1 doughnut: 226 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 29, 2017
I made these donuts years ago, too, and they are the best EVER! I am so happy to have found the recipe again! YAY!!!
Sep 28, 2016
I made these donuts years ago and they are fabulous! They also make a huge batch. They were very tasty for sure. I will make again for sure! Great recipe!
Apr 25, 2008
FAST FUDGE FROSTING RECIPE!!
Mar 2, 2008
how much nutmeg?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.