Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook:: 5 min./ batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Add the potatoes, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and ginger; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm doughnuts in sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 4, 2018
These did not turn out good for me. I will say that I used a pan with oil and a candy thermometer, so maybe that was the problem. They tasted doughy. Would not recommend making unless you have a electric skillet or such. A lot of wasted ingredients.
Jun 13, 2017
I reduced the recipe to half a batch as a trial run. They are the best donuts I have ever made and now I wished I had made the whole recipe. They are not greasy or dry. They are tender.I will make this recipe again and add additional spices. Thanks, Lisa and TOH for this successful recipe.
Jun 9, 2014
Just wondering if I could use the donut machine with this recipe rather than rolling. Thanks
Jun 12, 2012
have a recipe for yeast doughnuts
Jun 12, 2012
very good hu enjoyed
Jun 11, 2012
I thought they would be greasy, but after they sit for a while/ very good!! will make again, and again..
Jun 11, 2012
These sound very good but since they are fried I wouldn't make them. However, the kitchen store nearby sells donut baking pans. I am going to make some using this pan and my amish bread recipe. That way I can make any flavor at all.
Jun 3, 2012
I have made this recipe many times. It is my favorite doughnut recipe! EXCELLENT!
Feb 21, 2012
This makes a nice cake doughnut. It mixed up easily, and the doughnuts plumped up nicely when they were fried. This does make a LOT of doughnuts, so I think next time I will cut the recipe in half.
Dec 20, 2011
awesome recipe!! I finally had some left over mash potatoes and thought.. What the heck.. Wow! what a surprise.They are delish.The recipe was really easy too. I didn't wait to roll them out and they rolled perfect.No need to chill. I'll be making these donuts again..