- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Optional: cinnamon-sugar or confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Add butter and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk. Refrigerate, covered, 2-3 hours.
- Turn onto a floured surface, roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. If desired, dip warm doughnuts in cinnamon-sugar, confectioners' sugar or additional sugar to coat both sides.
1 doughnut: 219 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.