Swedish Gingerbread Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tablespoons water
- Red Hots, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, shortening, vanilla and enough water to reach spreading consistency. Decorate cookies with frosting and, if desired, Red Hots.
- Freeze option: Transfer wrapped disks to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or until soft enough to roll. Prepare, bake and decorate cookies as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 201 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 29, 2016
I just made these cookies and they were fun to make and turned out perfect!, not too hard not too soft! I didn't ice them, wanted to keep them simple and poked tiny holes for a face and buttons, thank you for the recipe!
Dec 23, 2016
This was a good flavored cookie, but I would prefer a softer cookie.
Dec 13, 2015
These little guys are outstanding! They are so deliciously flavorful. If you love a strong gingersnap, these are definitely worth the try. This will definitely go into my favorite recipe book for Christmas cookies!