Swedish Gingerbread Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tablespoons water
- Red Hots, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, shortening, vanilla and enough water to reach spreading consistency. Decorate cookies with frosting and, if desired, Red Hots.
- Freeze option: Transfer wrapped disks to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or until soft enough to roll. Prepare, bake and decorate cookies as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 201 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 28, 2018
These cookies are perfect! They were easy to make and prepare, and delicious! The icing was easy to pipe and dried well. We added some decorations like colored sugar and sprinkles. I baked them closer to the 8 minutes for a softer cookie.
Dec 29, 2016
I just made these cookies and they were fun to make and turned out perfect!, not too hard not too soft! I didn't ice them, wanted to keep them simple and poked tiny holes for a face and buttons, thank you for the recipe!
Dec 23, 2016
This was a good flavored cookie, but I would prefer a softer cookie.
Dec 13, 2015
These little guys are outstanding! They are so deliciously flavorful. If you love a strong gingersnap, these are definitely worth the try. This will definitely go into my favorite recipe book for Christmas cookies!