Butternut Squash Doughnuts
My mother and I used to make several batches of these cake doughnuts at a time. They're not only different, they're delicious, too!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut or winter squash of your choice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar or additional sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, squash, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to squash mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (dough will be very soft).
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with sugar if desired.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.