Butternut Squash Doughnuts
My mother and I used to make several batches of these cake doughnuts at a time. They're not only different, they're delicious, too!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut or winter squash of your choice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar or additional sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, squash, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to squash mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (dough will be very soft).
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with sugar if desired.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas 2002