Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; stir in potato mixture.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. If desired, roll in sugar while warm.
Nutrition Facts1 doughnut: 42 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 28, 2017
I made a double batch of these. Everyone loved them, even the dog who managed to confiscate our leftovers.
Oct 22, 2017
A great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! They were delish and my husband couldn't believe that I used mashed potatoes in the recipe. I will definitely be making these again. Thank you for this delicious recipe for donuts!
May 14, 2016
These are fantastic! I rolled them in cinnamon sugar. So good!
Dec 29, 2015
This recipe for small crunchy donuts was just what I was looking for I served them with lemon sauce. If they had been more flavorful they would not have worked with the lemon sauce. Very good thanks for sharing.
Feb 11, 2012
These were surprisingly good. Made them in the evening and had the leftovers for breakfast. I did add cinnamon and nutmeg, as suggested by donnajewett for a little more flavor and they were great!
Dec 1, 2011
quick, easy and great tasting - I will add a little salt next time though
Nov 29, 2011
I gone to try to instead or vanilla use Bacon and roll in chopped pecans
Nov 28, 2011
These are very good and easy to make. I wonder if they could be made with rice flour, as I have a Celiac person in the family.
Nov 26, 2011
Tastes great with the cinnamon and nutmeg added to the batter and great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes after the holidays.
Nov 26, 2011
I would make the recipe again but add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to the batter to add more flavor. Texture and ease of making was great!